Comics (and cartoons) have a bridging potential between different languages and cultures. It is therefore a universal communication tool for all.
In the quest for preservation and promotion of historical heritage and cultures, the Penang state government has recognised comics as a vessel to forge ahead, amongst other efforts. And, the Asia Comic Cultural Museum (PACCM) project was mooted. It takes a consolidation of unrelenting desire and dedication, from a multitude of comics professionals, to turn this idea into reality. It can become a solid springboard for budding artists to explore global frontiers.
The Penang-Asian Comic Cultural Museum (PACCM) is one of the many-pronged strategies implemented by the Penang State Government to:
- Preserve the unique heritage aspect of the island state.
- Provide for sustainable growth with regard to culture, education and economy.
- Promote intercultural exchange among countries within the Asia-Pacific region.
The Museum will;
- Collect, safeguard and hold in trust, art specimens and masterpieces (originals or duplicates) from the labours of local and foreign artists.
- Enable visitors (foreign and local tourists) to explore the art collections for inspiration, learning and enjoyment through perpetual and themed exhibitions within its designated premises.
- Provide a community focus or meeting place for related functions involving local and/or foreign enterprises.